Did you know that each of your eyes has a blind spot ? A patch of vision that you can not see in?
How can I find it?
- To find your blind spot, take a piece of paper and draw a small X on the right side.
- Now, take your ruler and measure about 5 inches to the left of the X.
- Draw a dot there about the size of a penny.
- Hold the paper in front of you and close your right eye. Look at the X. Even though you’re looking at the X you should be able to see the dot out of the corner of your eye.
- Slowly move the paper in front of you. Try moving it left and right or closer and farther away. Remember to keep looking at the X. At a certain point, the dot will seem to disappear out of the corner of your eye.
Why is it there?
In the back of the eye, the retina has a hole in it, this hole allows the nerve to leave the eye and take the information from to your brain. This gap in the retina means that there is a gap in your vision, an area which you just cant see !
At Redgate we use a digital scanner to scan the retina and check the retina and nerve is healthy. This is the image of a health eye, and the nerve can be seen as a white circle, we have labelled it “Optic Disc” for clarity. This disc corresponds to the blind spot in our vision.
Come into branch today to book your appointment or call us on 01494 258690.